Monday, December 31, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War

Hubby and I saw "Charlie Wilson's War" on Sunday afternoon. Now, I have to admit that I have been over Tom Hanks for quite a while. Not that I think he's a bad actor, but for a long time, he was just everywhere. It got tiresome. But after seeing Charlie Wilson's War, Ole Tom is my man again. It was a wonderful film! I have to admit, the idea of the movie kind of made me uncomfortable......knowing that the ouster of the Soviet army from Afghanistan opened the door for the repressive Taliban regieme, that eventually led to Osama Bin Laden and 9/11. But I think they did a good job of addressing that in the end of the movie (and in subtle places throughout, foreshadowing how things could go really bad, if things didn't go just right in Afghanistan). And Phillip Seymour Hoffman, oh my gosh! He is a hoot! I've seen him in other things - he's been a character actor for a while - but he stands out in this one, and stands up against Hanks' acting well. He definitely doesn't get bulldozed in his scenes with a three time Oscar winner.

What really irritates me is that I had a copy of the book the movie was based on a while back, and I gave it away in a book-clearing frenzy. Now I have to get another copy. There is lots more to this story, and I want to find out. Go ahead....see the movie. But, READ the BOOK!

No comments: