Friday, March 06, 2009

WANTED: My Own Cabana Boy

OK, so the big project that has kept me away from the blog for over the month is finally over, well, mostly. THIS is what has kept me busy, building spreadsheets, making lists, double-checking those lists, changing the lists after the double-checking, planning, emailing, more planning....and doing all this in SECRET!

I understand, to most of the world, this is no big deal. Just another real estate company (and in a down market, are we insane!?) But we've been around for 19 years as a proud, independent, non-franchise company, and we took the big, BIG step of going with a franchise. A new, amazing, totally worth it, wonderful franchise. We expect big things of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate, and they expect big things of us. Even in a down market, there can be great opportunities, and this is ours.

But putting everything all together was a lot of work. And most of it fell on my Sister-in-Law and me (Oh! did I mention that we are a FAMILY business?). We have been scurrying around like a couple of squirrels on RedBull for a month. The launch was last Tuesday, and now we are in the honeymoon stage. Checking in with all the agents, smoothing out all the inevitable blips, making sure that all is going well. I have been in constant "Customer Service with a Smile"-mode for a month, and it's wearing a bit thin. I'm tired. Physically tired, and tired of running and being "on" all the time. I'm not complaining, really. I'm excited about our new venture, and I'm excited that I am playing such an important role in them. But I am in desperate need for a bit of "Me Time."

Actually, a lot of "Me Time." I haven't read more than a few pages in a book, or knitted a few rows, or done one of my Couch to 5K workouts in a month. I don't wind down at the end of the day any more.....I collapse. And I've developed this nasty habit of waking up at 2am. Yeech!

But there is a glimmer of hope. DH and I get to go on a little business trip to San Diego next week. Well, it's supposed to be a business trip. We are going to try to make it a mini vay-kay, with a tiny bit of business attached. I promise the "Do Not Disturb" sign is going to get a workout.

That's where the Cabana Boy comes in. I want someone to take care of me for a bit. Fetch for me, carry for me, bring me drinks with little umbrellas in them, massage my tired feet.....and if he knows the location of all the good yarn shops in San Diego, so much the better. He doesn't have to be cute, or sexy....I got a man for that....I just want to be a little lazy and selfish for a while.

Then I'll be ready to go back to the real world, and deal with work and the kids, and meetings, and schedules..........

Well, Maybe, I'll be ready to go back to the real world.

No comments: