Wednesday, December 26, 2007



This, gentle audience, (all ONE of you!) is my final Xmas knitting assignment of 2007. Completed BEFORE Christmas! Ta-Da!! A right and proper Christmas stocking for my youngest son. Just mere days before his first Christmas, ten years ago, I had a little epiphany. It went something like this...."CRAP!! I don't have a stocking made for the Baby!" So a trip to the fabric store followed and a rather sad excuse for a stocking was created. Face it, there is only so much you can do with red felt, fabric paint, and no sleep. I have promised myself every year since then that I would make him a "proper" stocking. His brothers have cross-stitched stockings lovingly made by their mother when I was less harried and not nearly as insane as I am now. When I took up knitting about 5 or 6 years ago, I decided I would knit him one, rather than cross-stitch. Don't get me wrong, cross-stitch is fine, but I'm a Knitter-grrl these days. Still, it took me all this time to get a stocking knitted for him. That included a couple of false starts. Especially the false start I had that prompted me to visit Cultured Purls for a little knit-assistance. I spent four hours last Wednesday getting myself straightened out on how to resume the argyle pattern on the sock, only to decide on the drive home, to rip out the entire heel, and just make an afterthought heel. As a result of this decision, I had the whole thing completed by Friday morning. Then blocking and sewing in a lining and Voila! A completed stocking. The only problem now.......the other boys noticed that #3's stocking is LARGER than theirs!

2 comments:

KnitterBunny said...

Um, by my count you have at least three subscribers through bloglines. :)

Alyknitsandknits said...

Oh my Gosh! I do! I'm a Trend!