Wednesday, February 06, 2008
So this is one of the auction shawl projects:
Yarn - some unpronounceable Welsh wool - fingering weight.
Needles US 7.
Pattern: Alternating motifs from page 207 of The Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns from Sterling Publishing, with a seed stitch border.
I've got about three and a half repeats of the pattern done. The picture is of the unblocked pattern, just pulled flat by pins. Not perfect by a long shot, but it gives you an idea of the finished product. The yarn is not the softest in the world, but it's slightly rough hewn quality appeals to me somehow. The funny thing is, the yarn is not soft, but I would not call it rough either. Just textured. I'm hoping some auction bidders will like it as much as I do.
Finally sussed out the pattern for the other shawl. But I do need to go yarn shoping before I get started (oh durn!). After trying all kinds of yarn in my stash, I decided I need to get some different stuff to work the pattern the way I want. It really calls for a smoother yarn. I've also decided this one needs to be knitted width-wise. This could be a nightmare, but I can't imagine it working as well any other way. Once I get started, I'll do a little more show and tell.